Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Definitely a FIRST in my mommyhood career so far....

Elise was sitting and eating a small bowl of frozen peas this morning as I was trying to get ready for the day. I don't know, she just really likes them. Anyway, later she comes to me pointing to her nose and trying get me to look at it. She grabbed my fingers and started making me scratch her nose. It was the weirdest thing! Her right nostril was clearly red and irritated from her clawing at it. I looked up her nasal passages but couldn't find anything that might be causing her agitation. I finished getting ready and got her in the car so we could go pick Lola up from school. Maybe about 30-40 minutes had passed since this little nasal incident. I put Elise in her car seat, buckled her in, then went to kiss her nose, (as is our little car ride ritual), when what do I see but the brightest, greenest and biggest PEA I have ever seen, stuck up her nostril!!!
Well, that explained a lot! Any efforts I made trying to get it out with my fingers just ended up pushing the pea further up the nasal passage. I finally managed to get it out by massaging her nose in downward strokes from top to tip until I coaxed it to her nostril opening. And then, with a big *pop*, out it came! So in case you're ever in the position of having to coax a pea from your baby's nose...remember this technique as it was very effective for us!

What a prime photo opportunity if I would have just thought of it!!! sigh...

4 comments:

Iris said...

Oh my goodness. That is seriously scary, I am glad you were calm enough to think clearly about what to do. I might have freaked.

Luci said...

I did wonder for a moment whether this was something that required a trip to the emergency room! I guess I figured the pea was soft enough that it would come out with enough effort. I hope this taught her to never shove anything up her nose ever again!

whispering loudly said...

The same thing happened to us with a piece of rice cake during a road trip. I thought the world was coming to an end! I seriously considered pulling over and calling 911.

After a minute though, I plugged his little nose on the open side and told him to blow and it shot right out.

My husband still won't let me forget it! :)

Sabrina said...

My older brothers and sister have shoved peas up my nose more than once. Some of my most vivid memories as a child are of me lying upside down on my dad's lap with him sticking tweezers up my nose to fish the peas out. I feel her pain.