Monday, September 22, 2008

New Blog!

I finally got around to creating Lola's blog about our adventures in homeschooling! I've been keeping a journal, so I thought it'd be way more efficient to get a blog going and be able to add pictures (eventually, once I get my camera fixed!).

Now, onto my other two dilemmas. The first is how to help Lola decompress from a whole day of school. She is really emotional and feisty when I pick her up. Then we get home, where she quickly proceeds to find her spot underneath my skin and I end up getting crazy irritated with her. I know she is super wound up by her long, high-energy day but doesn't really know what to do with it all. At first, before I recognized this to be a pattern, I sometimes arranged for her friends to come play after school, but each time resulted in her just completely losing it. Obviously, we have stopped having after-school playdates, but it hasn't really helped much so far. I wish I could find a way to get her to have some quiet time to herself for a little while after school, but Lola is definitely not one to surrender to being mellow without a fight. I really believe it's best for her, so this week we are going to start mandating of hour of quiet time after school (read books, color, play quietly, etc...) and see how this goes.

Dilemma number two isn't really a dilemma, just a situation that I see needs some tweaking. It's now 9 pm and Lola has been in bed for over an hour, but is obviously not sleepy or going to sleep anytime soon. The problem is that during the weekend (Friday to Monday, for us), our routine isn't as consistent and she invariably goes to bed later and sleeps in later than she does when it's not a school night. Something for us to work on...

2 comments:

ZebraBelly: said...

Bathtime after school? For some reason water seems magic in the way children react to it.

Hey, did you ever get on our homeschooling list? I can't remember. And I should probably know that, but I am a flake. Forgive me.

Luci said...

Pure genius, Bonnie! I'm going to try that! And maybe some lavender e/o. Thanks!
and, er, I may have forgotten also...but I'm going to do it right now while I'm thinking about it!