Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I Guess You Can't Hit a Homerun Every Time...

That's what Dan will say when he tastes this stew/soup thingy that I have simmering on the stove! This was made by a complete hodgepodge of everything I could find....usually, I try to "match" the ingredients that I think will complement each other, but this time it was just "whatever".

Let me say that we are not big beet fans in this house. And there were beets in my CSA box this week. I think my problem is that I'm very inexperienced with beets...I only know that I detested beets from a can when I was a kid and hadn't tried them since. So, anyway, I was getting a nice little base going....sliced carrots, mustard greens, cubed eggplant sauteing in some olive oil when I saw the beets. I don't want any veggies to go to waste so I sliced those puppies up too. After I finished cleaning PURPLE STAIN off everything within 5ft of where I was slicing, I saw my stew had turned bright purple too! Everything. The eggplant, chickpeas, everything. I like the color purple, I really do, but I have to say this soup does not look the least bit appealing.

I haven't even tasted it yet. It just doesn't look great. After last night's grand slam....it looks like today I tripped on my way to the plate and never made it to bat.

*sigh*

3 comments:

julia said...

I love beets so much. LOVE them. maybe we can work out an arrangement where I buy them from you every time you get them in your box? :-P

Jessa said...

Pickle, Pickle, Pickle! Then use them in salads...

that's what I'd do:)

Good for the blood...

(aren't they super duper full of iron!?!?)

Luci said...

Yes!! Pickling them! I didn't think of that! thanks!