Sunday, December 23, 2007

More sudsy stuff...


Well, if you read about the soap sitch on the previous post, you'll be happy to know that all seems well with the remaining soap that I was able to salvage from that. It looks fine (see above, left) and hardened well. I'll just test it out tomorrow for good measure, but I have high hopes. I only got 12 bars out of it, but I learned a lot. I also found other sources for explanation of the h/p method and I think I have a better understanding now. So I'm actually pretty amped to give it another go!

I also tried out "melt & pour" tonight, using a clear glycerin soap base (see above, right). I made a lavender soap with whole lavender flowers in it, plus added lavender e/o and shea oil. It looks good for a first time effort! I'm anxious to try it out!

It's funny because when I first started soapmaking, I scoffed at the idea of 'melt & pour'...only the purist's method for me, thank you very much! Ha! But I actually really enjoyed it and I see where it would be fun to do sometimes. There is definitely a broader license for creativity with this method and it was incredibly easy.

To sum up, I would like to stick mainly with cold process soapmaking and try my hand again at hot process, but this 'melt & pour' method is going to be somewhere in the rotation, for sure.


2 comments:

Jessa said...

Great photos! What about a coffee bar? I'd love to rub some caffeine into me!
Keep it up! You have anxious customers longing for your products!

Jessa said...

Oh yeah and also the pet bar--I know I'd buy some for me and Tal's doggie