Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cauliflower Pizza Crust??? What???



Yes, you heard me right.
Yesterday, I made a pizza crust out of cauliflower. I was incredibly skeptical at first. I mean, really, who wouldn't be? I am trying to eat less processed flours/sugars, therefore, I was very anxious to try this recipe. Especially after reading the comments that other readers had left behind.
Well, I made it and it was delicious! Everybody in our family loved it. I never even told them it was cauliflower until after the fact. I had my friend, who is gluten-free, try it and she loved it too. I piled it up high with vegetables and we were good to go.

So, seriously, it was easy. Cook cauliflower. Put cauliflower in the food processor until chopped into tiny bits. Mix chopped cauliflower with an egg and some shredded mozzarella cheese (1:1 ratio). Press mixture into desired pizza crust shape on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Load toppings and cheese, then set pizza under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
You can see from the photos that the crust was hearty enough to hold on the barrage of delectables that I piled on top. And it can be frozen after the first initial crust baking stage. I will be making lots of these, thus explaining why my husband could be seen at our local grocer's with 6 bags of frozen cauliflower in his cart.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow very creative, I might have to try this. It looked delicious!