Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pickled Radishes


I had soooo many radishes from my CSA, I didn't know what to do with them all. When I lamented to a friend, she suggested pickling them. I did 3 bunches tonight. They turned out fantastic. I didn't follow a recipe really, but went along guidelines from recipes that I looked up. I washed and sliced the radishes, then tossed them with salt in a bowl. I let them sit for a few minutes while I mixed up about 2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar, with a couple of tablespoons of sugar in a large jar. I added mustard seeds, dill seeds and red chile pepper flakes. Lots of those because we like our food nose-running spicy.
Then I drained the radishes and patted them dry with towels. I added them to the vinegar mix in the jar and shook the jar like crazy to mix them up. I divided the batch up into smaller jars.
3 bunches of radishes made enough to almost fill 2 16 oz jars! We only have one and 1/4 left though, because I've eaten most of one of the jars. MMMM!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant! They were delicious.

Luci said...

I couldn't believe Oli ate up a whole bowl of them!