Tuesday, April 22, 2008

nak. again.

So, if you're someone that I talk to on even an irregular basis, you're probably already familiar with my nursing complaints and are currently rolling your eyes at the prospect of yet another bitch session. But I'm serious!! I'm sooooooo getting tired of this. It really, honestly wouldn't be so bad, if not for the insane FREQUENCY. In the past 24 hours, I don't think I have gone an hour without nursing at least once. Granted, Elise had a fever last night, but today was hardly much of an exception. She's like this most of the time. I had this brilliant idea that I would simply forsake sitting down...either at the computer or simply to relax on the couch. I even started eating standing up. The mere image of me sitting would send Elise into a nursing frenzy. But now she's caught on to my ruse....she doesn't care that I'm not sitting down because she will go to whatever chair is closest to me and start crying and banging on the chair with her fists until I sit down to nurse her. Occasionally, she will rest her tear-stained face on the chair, in complete despair, just for a moment to catch her breath.

In my mind, she is still very much a baby and too young to wean, but I am in the early stages of setting some limits. I really want to make it until she is 2, but at the moment, I'm questioning my strength. If it could just slow down a bit....

Any advice out there?

7 comments:

lola coca-cola said...

I'm sure I've told you this story before, but when I was at the end of my rope with all the nursing (about 14 months), I sat Nina down and told her how often I was willing to nurse her. I think she could see that it was either agree or be done altogether. Anyway, she agreed (when I told Larry, he said that she didn't know what she was agreeing to, and asked her if she had agreed, she said yes). She pretty much stuck to it from then on.

Elaine said...

I was SO there with Anya at about E's age. I remember thinking that this was it, I couldn't do it anymore without going insane. Then something shifted and she chilled out. I think they can feel our resistance and panic and once I let go and gave up (meaning I was going to wean her) she felt me relax and so stopped being such a punk. Or not, I donno. But I feel you. I really do.

Luci said...

Thank you both. It helps immensely just knowing that I'm not alone in my frustration. Did I mention the guilt that I feel for even entertaining the idea of weaning at such a young age? Yikes. Motherhood can really do a number on you.

nch said...

Tomorrow is a new day and once she starts feeling better she will nurse less. We have all been there before and I know it is hard.

Luci said...

You're right. Today was more often then usual (slightly!) due to her not feeling well, I'm sure. I'm trying to keep that in prespective too. But, jeezy chreezy, I just had to vent! ha ha! She's been asleep now for almost 2 hours so I'm getting giddy in my sudden freedom!

Alexandra said...

Hiya, Luci-

I think Elaine's got something there...I continually rediscover how my attitude affects the kids - in ways that are weird and feel unrelated to me, but must be related for them somehow.

My baby is crazy with the nursing too, and I'm NOT looking forward to a toddler who's crazy with the nursing!

Luci said...

So after all that bitching yesterday...Elise has not nursed since waking up from her nap at 1 pm today and it's now nearly 11 pm. I tried feeding her before leaving for the baseball game, but she was much too distracted with grandma and Lola playing, she couldn't be bothered. I guess I do get breaks every now and then and maybe I shouldn't bitch so much. :)