Sunday, February 24, 2008

My almost vegan pumpkin muffins...


Well, as you know, I really do enjoy baking vegan. Not only because I have to avoid dairy for Lola but also because it's fun. There's always an element of excitement when I take that first test bite because I like to see if it came out well, or really, if I gave it to a non-vegan, would they figure out there was something a bit different? I do love the challenge.

Anyway, I was inspired earlier after reading a post from veganmomma regarding her butternut squash muffins and decided to make those. Except that by the time we actually got around to making them, I didn't have time to cook a whole butternut squash, so we just did the regular old pumpkin kind. So, they are called 'almost vegan' because I got about halfway through when I pulled out my applesauce jar from the fridge and saw the grossest dark spots on the surface of the sauce, with mold growing on them! YUCK! I didn't have any bananas and I couldn't come up with a different alternative for eggs so I just ended up using eggs. They came out really yummy anyway and I also sprinkled some pepitas on the tops for a little crunch.

I kept thinking about it all night and finally realized I could have used ground flax and water for an egg replacement. Oh well. Next time!

No comments: