Sunday, February 24, 2008

Runner's high, where are you???

I started running again recently. When I was 18 or so, I ran everyday. I absolutely loved it because I would work out so much stuff in my head during the run. For some reason, when I was running, I could think so much clearer, but I wonder if it is really because I never took time out of the day to really organize my thoughts except when I was running. But I also loved it because I would feel really, really good. Like a euphoric....well...high, for lack of a better word. I would feel good inside and outside, mentally and physically for at least a couple of hours afterwards.
So, as I said, I started running again, but I have yet to achieve my old runner's high that I used to get. I wonder how long it will take for me to get really into it again. I am getting better at it, I noticed. Today I ran about 85% of my route, whereas, when I first started, I would walk/run about 50% of it.

I haven't excercised in a couple of days. Friday I was busy hosting playgroup and then getting my locks snipped. Since the stylist had blow-dried my hair just so, I didn't want to risk getting it all frizzy from working out, thus ruining it's debut for Mama Needs a Drink. Good thing I have my priorities straight, eh?

Then came Saturday. Um, let's just say that Mama Needs a Drink on Friday night turned out to be a good ol' time, the likes of which I have not really done for a couple of years! ha ha! But it rendered me into an absolutely useless turd on the couch all day Saturday.
I met one of my partners in crime for a Jamba Juice and that was refreshing. The only thing I'm bummed about is that I was really supposed to hustle on Saturday to get my house all spiffy for my sister-in-law's baby shower which was being held at my house later on that evening, but I totally procrastinated. I wasn't actually hosting the shower, her friend was the official host, they were just using my house for a venue. So I didn't really have much responsibilities, the host took care of decorating my house, the food and really everything else. All I had to do was clean my house, but there I was still vacuuming when the first guests arrived! Well, it was just my stepmother-in-law and, in my defense, she was her usual 15 minutes early. I just feel kind of lame for not being on top of it.
Anyway, despite that, the shower was really nice. I think our little nephew is going to be a lucky little kid.

1 comment:

julia said...

hey, another former runner here. I'm looking to get back into it, but it's so... slow going. I've really only ran a few times since Ollie was born. let me know if you ever want a running buddy! I'd totally be up for it. I need someone else to kick me in the butt and get me out the door.