Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Problem With Fish

So I stopped eating meat, poultry and pork. It began with the beef scandal here in CA, but it expanded after reading John Robbin's book, Diet For a New America. There are minor parts of the book that I didn't like, but overall, you kind of have to admit that the guy has a point, a very valid point that I couldn't really ignore or argue. "So", I thought...."at least I still have fish". I knew eventually, I would have to look into it and see the problems there too, but at least for a while, I wanted to pretend that I was perfectly ok eating it. Well, I still am ok with it, but I did some research and I will focus on the fish species that aren't in danger of being overfished, have the least environmental impact (in farming or fishing them) and have no bycatching (poor little fishies that are caught in the bottom trawls of another 'target' fish).

Well, I guess I'll start there. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, we'll see.

A side note, Dan is quite happy with my new dinner creations. I'm glad because I thought he would give me grief for not serving meat anymore. He even approved heartily of the Indian meal I made last night and he generally does not care for Indian food so much. Bonus!

No comments: