Sunday, February 17, 2008

Yikes...

A friend of mine, who is a teacher, told me that her school is no longer serving beef in the cafeteria and that the school mailed out a letter to the parents to that effect. The reason is that the slaughterhouse for one of the biggest suppliers of beef to the schools is facing criminal charges for some heinous animal cruelty. Read the article here. There is a video that was submitted as evidence of wrongdoing. I can't bring myself to watch the video, but the article describes it in some detail and it was plenty enough for me. The supplier's statement here.

2 comments:

Jessa said...

I freaking love that statement. Everytime something is brought to light, the boss says "I assure you, this is not our way," or some other crap like that.

Matt and I were *this* close to eliminating beef all together from our diet, (we mostly eat USA chicken and veggies now,) though we eat Japanese beef and pork.

What hurts me the most is that there are human beings at the end of the rope, chain, etc. Who are these monsters and who sleeps next to them at night?

Luci said...

The story has finally broken in mainstream media, but the 2 page article in our local newspaper makes not one reference to the cruelty involved. The only talked about the recall, but not the WHOLE story. Sad.