Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Rockin' NYC!

This town is PRETTY COOL! The energy is so high and the architecture is so fantastic that you really don't notice the 'circa depression era' greyish colors. While the buildings may have that worn dull tint to them, the people more than make up for it with their vibrant shop signs and warm smiles. We have encountered nothing but sincerity and kindness...honestly, not at all what I was expecting. People here bend over backwards to help a stressed out mama trying to fit her stroller through restaurant or elevator doors!
We took a red-eye flight last night and I would not do that again if I had the chance. Red-eyes with our kids, at least, have proven time and again to NOT be good ideas. Suffice to say, neither kid nor parent slept on the plane, except for the last hour and 1/2 (Elise & Lola). So we made up some sleep by checking into a hotel room while we waited for the condo to be ready. By 1 pm it was ready and we headed on over. It's absolutely tiny, but still really cute! It's a nice little neighborhood. My dad and his girlfriend will be joining us tomorrow and stay through Sunday. It's seriously going to be tight in here. This place is SMALL! But it's only for 3 nights so I'm sure we can deal.
Tonight we did some recon with the kids and walked a few blocks diameter around the neighborhood to see what was around. We have everything we need within walking distance, including a whiskey bar! More on that tomorrow since I'm sure Dan and I will peruse as soon as my folks get here! ha!
We did find a really cool mexican restaurant on 2nd Ave., called Mexico Lindo. Food was awesome, as was the service. They were really cool about our kids (the only kids in the restaurant!) and catered to Lola to make her especially happy, which she was. Completely by herself, she ordered a bean burrito with no cheese and rice and beans. She asked if they could please not put cheese on her beans!
Dan had enchilades con camarones and they were chock full of shrimp. My plata combinacion had a combination of tacos, enchiladas and tamales. It was deeeeee-lish.
So was my margarita Donita!

More later and photos to follow when we get home since I left the cable there! drat!

2 comments:

veganmomma said...

Yay for NYC, hope you guys get to go out soon. Are you freezing?

Luci said...

Actually, it's crazy warm here! In the 60's, I think! All the winter gear I bought for this trip is not getting worn! It's gorgeous weather now, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm a little bummed there's no snow...