Monday, November 12, 2007

Fresh Veggies


Last Tuesday, I faxed in a request to join this new CSA I heard about from a friend and by the weekend, they had me all set up to pick up my first box at the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. So that was yesterday and I've used a bunch of the produce already. I am so happy with everything, it was beyond my expectations! The veggies are super fresh and taste so much better than any I have bought in a store. I can't even describe the oranges! They melt in your mouth! There was some pretty cool fruit that I had never seen before like passionfruit and pineapple guavas. Other fruit in the box: apples, oranges, lemons, tomatoes and pomegranates.

So my goal is to finish all the produce in a week without wasting any, which means I need to incorporate as much as I can into our meals. This is a cool challenge for myself and I'm actually excited about cooking again!
This morning I made a frittata for breakfast and chopped up a bunch of veggies super small to put in it. Lola never noticed the veggies and she ate it right up.
For dinner I made a pizza...I thinly sliced and eggplant this morning (horizontally), then marinated it all day in olive oil, white wine vinegar, herbs and garlic. I roasted the slices and used them for the first layer of my pizza. I also snipped the fresh basil with a pair of kitchen shears and spread that over the tomato sauce. A side salad with a mustard vinaigrette (olive oil, white wine vinegar and stoneground mustard wisked together) and dinner was served! Quick, fresh and easy! Check out my recipe section for more details!

No comments: