Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Martha Stewart's Vegan Chocolate Cake...

So you might as well know right now that I'm a huge fan of Martha Stewart. Huge. Love her. Anyway, you can imagine my excitement when December's issue came in. Hello! December! Cool little holiday trinket crafts and yummy stuff to bake, etc...How can a sane woman resist???? Anyhooo. I'm cruising along in the magazine, when there's this big article on chocolate. I was quite impressed that they article recommended organic chocolate, although disapointed that there was not enough, if any, emphasis on fair trade chocolate. I'm not done reading the article so perhaps there will be a mention on fair trade, in which case, I will gladly retract.
Anyway, the point I was trying to get at is that later on there are a few recipes, one is for a double chocolate cake which is 100% vegan. I was so surprised. I read the recipe several times over to make sure it was correct. Now, as you know, I am not vegan myself, but I do prefer to bake vegan and pretty much only bring potluck dishes that are vegan. It's a simplicity issue really, plus the fact that I'm not crazy about dairy. Anyway, I'd rather bring something that everyone will eat and those who are not vegan will not notice the difference anyway. Coconut oil and applesauce have provided great baking substitutions.
I'm going off an another tangent....anyway! I was so surprised to see a recipe for cake in Martha Stewart that was that simple and not even billed as a vegan recipe. I want to try it for myself before adding it to my recipes file. And I will test it out on my friends, vegans and non-vegans alike! You know who you are!

3 comments:

veganmomma said...

can't wait!

julia said...

I still can't believe this! I'm going to buy this issue of the magazine just to show my appreciation.

It's a good thing. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Ivana said...

i'm vegan and i was delighted to find this recipe in martha stewart. i immediately made the cake and it was delicious!